The Billy Joe Varney Award for Excellence recognizes outstanding performance by dedicated and committed University Staff, Classified Staff, or Appointed Professional employees who have been employed at the University for at least 15 years. A minimum of 5 letters of recommendation are required.
Nominees will be evaluated on their actions that surpass meritorious performance in their job. Please ensure that letters of support address the criteria and give at least one concrete example for each dimension.
The following criteria will be considered:
A. DEMONSTRATED EFFORTS IN PRACTICING INCLUSIVE EXCELLENCE IN THE WORKPLACE – making an exceptional effort to be inclusive and how this affect the work environment
Examples that contribute to the practice of Inclusive Excellence include:
- Increasing awareness of and respect for different cultures
- Being attentive to diversity and proactively being inclusive in the workplace
- Creating space for an exchange of diverse ideas and perspectives
- Identifying gaps in your area and finding ways to initiate positive change as a result
- Taking action to support and champion diverse populations
- Supporting thought diversity to bring various perspectives into the workplace
- Making special efforts to mentor others
- Embedding diversity and inclusiveness into their work duties and responsibilities supporting thought diversity to bring various perspectives into the workplace
B. SERVICE TO THE UNIVERSITY – providing service/outreach in addition or outside of normal job duties and how this impacts others
Examples that constitute service to the University include:
- Making a significant contribution to the success of the entire University and the University community
- Acting as a competent and knowledgeable resource to students and employees
- Identifying ways to reconsider who is impacted by environmental pollution and offer mitigation solutions
C. SERVICE TO UNIVERSITY EMPLOYEES – reaching out to employees/students in addition to regular job duties and what the effect of this is to the university
Examples that constitute service to university employees include:
- Leading in making the University an exceptional workplace for employees
- Taking action to protect and champion diverse populations
- Being transparent and assistive regarding financial aid and other supportive resources for traditionally underrepresented stakeholders.
D. SERVICE TO THE COMMUNITY – providing outstanding service/outreach in addition to normal job duties and how this impacts the larger community
Examples that constitute service to the community include:
- Disseminating and applying knowledge gained from research and instructional activities to the broader community
- Delivering exceptional community service as a University employee
- Incorporating various Tucson community centers and neighborhoods into recruitment, retention, or programmatic efforts
- Utilizing campus cultural and resource centers as service options for students, staff, and faculty
How to Nominate
Submit a Nomination - Remember, all nominations due by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, January 25, 2021 - Late or Incomplete Packets Will Not Be Accepted!
This link will take you to the "Competition Space" to submit an application for your nomination.
Visit our Assistance for Nominators page for help.
- Nominee must be benefits-eligible
- Nominee must have at least fifteen (15) cumulative years of employment at the University in any employment category
- Nominees are eligible to receive this award only once in their life time - see past winners
- Nominee must merit special recognition for a career of dedicated service to the University, its employees, and the community
- Nominations must be submitted before the deadline
- Please ensure that letters of support address as many dimensions as possible, giving at least one concrete example for the criteria you are highlighting
Deadline for Nominations
Nominations must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. on Monday, January 25, 2021 - Late or Incomplete Packets Will Not Be Accepted!